CBSE ENGLISH (Communicative) Sample paper Class 10th free pdf Download SET 1
CBSE ENGLISH (Communicative) Sample paper class 10th free pdf Download- Hello friends welcome to examcapsule.com.today here we are going to share pdf file on for the previous year question paper.You can covert all the content in the pdf format by click on the pdf button given at the top of the page.
SET – 1
Series : JSR/2
Code No. 1/2/1
Candidates must write the Code on
the title page of the answer-book.
SUMMATIVE ASSESSMENT – II
Time allowed : 3 hours
Maximum Marks : 70
General Instructions :
(i) The question paper is divided into three sections :
SECTION A : READING 20 marks
SECTION B : WRITING & GRAMMAR 25 marks
SECTION C : LITERATURE :
Textbook and Long Reading Text 25 marks
(ii) All questions are compulsory.
(iii) You may attempt any section at a time.
(iv) All questions of that particular section must be attempted in the correct order.
SECTION – A 20
1. Read the passage given below and answer the questions that follow :
1 × 8 = 8
One of the greatest advances in modern technology has been the invention of computers. They are widely used in industries and in universities. Now there is hardly any sphere of human life where computers have not been pressed into service of man. We are heading fast towards the day when a computer will be as much part of man’s daily life as a telephone or a calculator.
Computers are capable of doing extremely complicated work in all branches of learning. They can solve the most complex mathematical problems or put thousands of unrelated facts in order. These machines can be put to varied uses. For instance, they can provide information on the best way to prevent traffic jams. This whole process by which machines can be used to work for us has been called ‘automation’. In the future ‘automation’ may enable human beings to enjoy more leisure than they do today. The coming of automation is bound to have important social consequences.
Some years ago an expert on automation, Sir Leon Bagrit, pointed out that it was a mistake to believe that these machines could ‘think’. There is no possibility that human beings will be “controlled by machines”. Though computers are capable of learning from their mistakes and improving on their performance, they need detailed instructions from human beings to operate. They can never, as it were, lead independent lives or “rule the world” by making decisions of their own.
Sir Leon said that in future, computers would be developed which would be small enough to carry in the pocket. Ordinary people would then be able to use them to obtain valuable information. Computers could be plugged into a national network and be used like radios. For instance, people going on holiday could be informed about weather conditions. Car drivers can be given alternative routes when there are traffic jams. It will also be possible to make tiny translating machines. This will enable people who do not share a common language to talk to each other without any difficulty or to read foreign publications.
(a) What is the greatest advancement in modern technology ? 1
(b) What complicated works are computers capable of doing ? 1
(c) Write one use of computers. 1
(d) Explain : automation. 1
(e) Why can’t computers lead independent lives or rule the world ? 1
(f) How would computers as translating machines help people ? 1
(g) What was the prediction of Sir Leon about computers in future ? 1
(h) How can computers help people going on holiday ? 1
2. Read the passage given below : 12
(1) Why does a person become overconfident ? The reason lies in over assessment of his capabilities. Sometimes people over assess their competence and jump into situations that are beyond their control.
(2) Napoleon Bonaparte who became Emperor of France would say that the word ‘impossible’ was common only amongst fools. The overconfident Napoleon invaded Russia in the winter of 1812. This proved to be a big disaster.
(3) Overconfidence generally leads people into misadventures, endangering their chances in life. It is wisely said that, any achievement is a result of two factorsone’s personal planning and support from the external world. People, take into account only their planning, generally ignoring external factors. They become unable to foresee future developments. Hence the great risk of failure.
(4) Then there is the question : how can one manage overconfidence ? The formula is very simple. Before taking a decision discuss the matter with other informed people with an objective mind and when it is proved that you are about to go off the path, accept reality and say without delay, “I was wrong.”
(5) Overconfidence is a flaw characterizing people who lack the virtue of modesty. Modesty makes you a realist; you become a person who is cut down to size. People of this kind become very cautious; before taking an action they assess the whole situation. They adopt a realistic approach.
(6) Overconfident people live within their own thoughts. They know themselves but they are unaware of others. Living inside their own cell they are unable to make use of the experiences of others. This kind of habit is highly damaging to all concerned.
(7) There is a saying that the young man sees the rule and the old man sees the exception. With a slight change, I would like to say that the overconfident person sees the rule and the confident person sees the exception. Overconfident people are always at risk. It is said that taking risk is good but it must be well calculated otherwise it becomes very dangerous.
(2.1) Answer the following questions : 2 × 4 = 8
(a) Why does a person become overconfident ?
(b) What does overconfidence generally lead people into ?
(c) How can one manage overconfidence ?
(d) What kind of person does ‘modesty’ make you ?
(2.2) Find meanings of the words given below with the help of the options that follow : 1 × 4 = 4
(a) Misadventure (para 3)
(b) Endangering (para 3)
(c) Assess (para 5)
(d) Objective (para 4)
SECTION – B 25
(WRITING AND GRAMMAR)
3. There is an increasing dependence of students on coaching institutes and tuition centres. Write a letter to the Editor of The Hindu giving reasons for this over dependence. Also, suggest a few measures that can be taken to check this trend. You are Arun/Aruna F-114, Mall Road, Agra. 5
Many students have lost the habit of writing due to frequent use of computer. This has resulted in the slow death of writing as a skill. Write an article in 100-120 words suggesting measures to give importance to writing by hand. You are Arun/Aruna.CBSE ENGLISH (Communicative) Sample paper class 10th free pdf Download
4. Write a story in 150-200 words based on the input given below : 10 The stadium looked festive – match going on – all excited – suddenly …..
He was hungry and tired – could do anything for food – but didn’t know how to get food, so …..
5. Complete the following paragraph by filling in the blanks with the help of the given options : 1 × 3 = 3
When we read (a) _____ a happy person we smile, (b) _____ if the character (c) _____ angry, we frown.
(a) (i) off (ii) about (iii) from (iv) on
(b) (i) as (ii) because (iii) whereas (iv) when
(c) (i) is (ii) became (iii) are (iv) am
6. The following paragraph has not been edited. There is one error in each line. Write the error and its correction as shown in the example. ½ × 8 = 4
There is some truth in a common e.g. a the saying that dogs became attached to (a) ___ ___
persons, cats are general attached to (b) ___ ___
places. A dog will follow their (c) ___ ___
master anywhere, so a cat keeps (d) ___ ___
to the house it was used to. Even (e) ___ ___
then the house changes hands, the (f) ___ ___
cat will remain here, as long as (g) ___ ___
that is kindly treated by the new owners. (h) ___ ___
7. Rearrange the words and phrases given below into meaningful sentences. The first one has been done as an example. 1 × 3 = 3
a real princess/a prince/marry,/wanted to/but only/once
Once a prince wanted to marry, but only a real princess.
(a) to find / it was / princess / very difficult / a real
(b) all over / of one / he / in search / travelled / the world
(c) but no / real / many / one seemed / he saw / to be
SECTION – C 25
(LITERATURE : Textbook and Long Reading Text)
8. Read the extract given below and answer the questions that follow : 1 × 3 = 3
So I went home and sat down before my desk and … waited, but nothing happened. Pretty soon my mind began to wander off on to other things.
(a) Who is ‘I’ ?
(b) What did ‘I’ wait for ?
(c) What does the phrase, ‘wander off’ mean ?
Calpurnia : Do not go forth today : call it my fear That keeps you in the house, and not your own. Let me, upon my knee prevail in this.
(a) What is Calpurnia’s fear ?
(b) What is the cause of her fear ?
(c) What does the phrase, ‘go forth’ mean ?
9. Answer any four of the following questions in 30-40 words each : 2 × 4 = 8
(a) Why does the poet experience conflicting emotions for the snake ?
(b) How was Shultz rescued from ‘Warzone’ ?
(c) What is ‘The Writer’s Inspirational Bureau’ and what was its protest ?
(d) Why does Ozymandias refer to himself as ‘king of kings’ ?
(e) What attention did Patol Babu pay to the minor role he played in the movie ?
10. Answer the following in 80-100 words :
4 You are one of the crew on the ship. After the mariner kills the Albatross, you have to suffer and there is no hope of survival. Write a diary entry describing your feelings at this point of time.CBSE ENGLISH (Communicative) Sample paper class 10th free pdf Download
Imagine you are Sebastian’s parents. Write a diary entry describing your feelings when you come to know what has happened to him.
11. Answer the following question in 150-200 words : 10
What did Helen’s visit to Niagara make her feel ? What enabled her to understand the glory of nature ?CBSE ENGLISH (Communicative) Sample paper class 10th free pdf Download
The charges of plagiarism had shaken Helen’s confidence and demoralized her. How did she regain her confidence in life ?
Anne had a tough relationship with her sister. Why did she find it difficult to get along with her and other fellow residents of the annexe ?
Why is Anne’s diary regarded as a valuable and authentic account of those times ?CBSE ENGLISH (Communicative) Sample paper class 10th free pdf Download